Sunday, January 15, 2012

Bacon Lettuce and Tomato Jam sandwich!













BLT's have been a favorite of mine for a while but when I saw this recipe on Diner's Drive In's and Dives with Guy F.,   I knew I had to try and make it on my own.    The Barking Dog Cafe in Indianapolis creates this wonderful sandwich using an herb mayo, HOMEMADE pepper bacon, and tomato jam!   I mean come on,  what is not to love!


So of course I was not about to take the time to make my own bacon (but boy would I love to!) so I used good ole sliced bacon and cracked black pepper on top before frying.
















I made my own basil mayo using 1 tblsp. dried basil and 3/4 cup mayonnaise.
















I made my own version of the tomato jam.   Here is my adapted recipe.

2 cans diced tomatoes
1 onion diced
1 clove garlic minced
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sherry cooking wine
1/4 cup vinegar

Saute the onions and garlic in a pan with a tsp of oil until soft.
Add remaining ingredients and cook down on med low to low temp for approx. 45 mins.
You will need to keep an eye on it as it cooks down so the bottom doesn't stick.
Stir ever 5 mins.  It will become very thick.
















Once the bacon has finished,  you are ready to build your sandwich and enjoy!
My son's girlfriend has an uncle who works at Panera Bread and he often gives us some to enjoy!





























Thanks for stopping by and I hope you enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. Oh my! Definitely a favorite of mine, too. We have a sandwich chain out here ("pickles" and "gherkins") which makes amazing double-deck BLT's.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Rinda, they are so yummy aren't they?! The double decker must be delicious and the name of the chain is too cute!

      Delete
  2. OH MY GOSH, I think I would LOVE this sandwich. One of my all time faves is the BLT. Tomato jam? I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jen, it is absolutely delicious!!!

      Delete
  3. I have never heard of tomato jam. I adore tomatoes. I must make this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh, that sounds good. Gotta try. We have a restaurant chain down here in TN called Puleos (supposed to be an Italian-Southern fusion, what a combo!ha!). They make a fried green tomato BLT that insanely good. A few extra calories, since the tomatoes are breaded, but it's spicy and has a great tangy flavor from the green tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds absolutely right up my alley Pam!

      Delete
  5. This is sandwich perfection.Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you think leftover tomato jam could be stored for later in refrigerator? If so, for how long?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I store mine in the refrigerator and it is has done great. I would suggest not more than a week. :) Enjoy!

      Delete