Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Ink Pad PB Storage revisited

Hi All,

My good Club Scrap buddy Chrissie created a super cool way to recycle her Club Scrap Pizza Boxes into a fun storage for her ink pads.   Check her blog post and get free instructions HERE!

Well,   I adored it and set out right away to make one of my own.


It came together very quickly and I really loved the look.    I had one problem.   I really didn't have a lot of space to keep it on my desk at home and also wanted to be able to take it with me.   So I decided to kick it up a notch.   Here is what I came up with.


I took a second Pizza Box and created a second tray just as Chrissie had instructed with the ink pad storage side of the suitcase.  Before glueing in all of the trays and dividers (which I added to Chrissie's design) I laid the two trays down onto a piece of kraft colored duct tape.  I taped both inside and outside of the trays leaving a 1/4 inch gutter between them in order for the case to open and close easily.

Then I set out gluing all the dividers into place with Club Scrap Book Binding Glue.  Then I trimmed the front cover down to create a pocket in the other half of my case.   I used a Martha Stewart punched edge to dress up the pocket a bit and stamped the front using CS's Papillon Unmounted stamps.  I attached Idea ology Hitch posts along the side of the tray with the pocket and they fit into the holes in the Grungeboard hinges which I painted with both Antique Bronze acrylic paint and Ranger Crackle Antique Brass paint.    I attached them with bronze Idea ology brads and washers.

Note:  I had to make a bit tiny cuts into the wholes of the hinges so they would slide over the Hitch posts.   **Also, please learn from my mistakes, if you want to add hitch posts do so before you add the pocket.  I almost didn't have enough room to screw it in because the hitch post wasn't long enough to go thru both sets of cardboard.    And my hand wasn't small enough to fit inside the pocket.  My daughter and I managed somehow to get the thing in without having to rip apart the pocket.  :)


So then I needed to figure out a way to carry it safely.   So I created ropes out of the duct tape and braided and knotted them into handles.   Then taped them onto the sides of the boxes all the way to the bottom to give it extra support.


This is the finished project.

Thanks for stopping by.

6 comments:

  1. Julie - you NEVER cease to amaze me. Fantastic job. Form & Function!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need a video. This is fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  3. what Chrissie said! That was really some creative genius going on there, and now you have one cool container!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There you go again thinking outside Oh I mean Inside the box again. Great job taking this to the next level!

    ReplyDelete