Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Club Scrap® Up Up and Away Blog Hop!

Welcome to our Up Up and Away Blog Hop.   Thanks for Hopping by!

My good friend Hetty at the CraftChaos Blog, decided to gather up a few of her crafting friends and organized a blog hop that will be reoccurring over the next several months.   We were challenged to create something using the February Club Scrap® kit called Up Up and Away!




















As a Club Scrap Senior kit member we often get a fun project as a goodie along with our kit.  This month we received instructions available in the free Scrap Rap magazine and papers to create a mini album.  You can find this project is still available at the Gotta Have More dept. at Club Scrap HERE

I created the album and needed something special for the front cover as I didn't purchase any of the stamp sets.   So I set out to create this fun Hot Air Balloon.   I was inspired by a fun embellishment that was part of the Digital Up Up and Away Kit.   Check it out in the brand new Club Scrap Digital Store!


















{This is the "digi" embellishment that inspired me!}

















First I looked through some of my stamps that I felt would mimic the design of the embellishment and found a Michael Strong Stamp that I purchased at Club Scrap's Annual Retreat back in 2010.  Michael was a special guest that year!

I inked it with the clear embossing ink and stamped it onto black cardstock.











Next I used Foil Embossing powder purchase at that same Retreat in Copper.





Then I melted the powder using a heat tool.

I used my Creative Memories circle cutter and self healing mat to cut out the circle.  You could also use a large circle punch.
















Next up I took a look through my stash to find some metal pieces that could be attached to the balloon.
My Idea Ology collection fit the bill.   I used some of the gears, tiny gears,  and flower all held on with brads.   I chose to stick with the aged copper for all the metal embellishments.

















I used the tiny shiny red ribbon from the Up Up and Away embellishment pack that I get as a side order with my Club Scrap Senior kit membership.   You have 3 sides to choose from, Greetings To Go (Card kit), Un Mounted Rubber Stamp Sheet, or the Embellishment pack.













I carefully adhered the ribbons in pieces using ATG gun tape on the back side of the circle and then attached a glue dot to the back of my faux basket created using a tiny blank "Scrabble" tile that was an embellishment in a vintage Club Scrap kit called Memoirs.   Finally I made tiny knots of ribbon which I attached with Glossy Accents glue to the front of the balloon.

I finished off the whole look with a tiny punched paper flower using some of my scraps leftover from the kit.





















Hope you enjoyed this tutorial on how I made my version of the "steampunk" hot air balloon.

Other products used on this project are:

Club Scrap Be Wonderful Un Mounted Rubber stamps Swirls
Circles punched out of sticker sheet from Up Up and Away collection
Club Scrap Body and Soul Un Mounted Rubber stamps Sentiment

So now it is time for you to HOP on over to my good friend RON PERRY'S BLOG!   Enjoy!

*And if you ever get lost along the Blog Hop route you can hop over to the CLUB SCRAP CREATES BLOG to see the entire list of blogs participating in the hop.


69 comments:

  1. Wow, Julie...I just love how you turned your digital inspiration into 3D reality! Thanks for the step by step...I think even I could do it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super job on your own steampunk version of that balloon! I love how paper can inspire digi and digi can inspire paper. Thanks for helping that inspiration along, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie
    What a great blog post! You are so creative! I love how you looked outside of the pizza box to complete your creative vision. Your combination of elements from different CS kits is very clever - and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your idea to create your own steampunk hot air balloon, I will definitely be adding this to my list of stuff I gotta try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wozers, this is a fun project you made! I am going to try it too.The balloon came out perfect and looks just like it's just like its brother, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the balloon! That's probably my favorite digi element too. Great job recreating that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Julie - I love how you mimmicked the digi balloon!! Very nice job on the album!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very creative balloon! So fun to use stamps and stuff differently!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yikes lots of work but I love love the metal gears!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE how you used the Digi to create your own -- I am going to have to scraplift this idea! Thank you for showing how. Just terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How clever...I want to be that clever!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Would NEVER have associated the digi and the stamp elements. Genius! I'm going to browse through my digi kits and see if I can come up with something similar. Great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Julie, super cool idea of recreating a real version of the balloon! The results are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. GENIUS! This is AWESOME! Great noggin' using Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love how you took the inspiration photo and ran with it. Super results :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome Julie! I love how creative you were in making your own balloon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super project Julie. I even learned a new way to use my CM circle cutter!

    Pat Czaplicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat, and so happy that I gave you an idea for the CM circle cutter :)

      Delete
  19. Love your creativity, Julie! *Lisa D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very clever, Julie! Reminds me of the movie Back to the Future!
    So COOL!

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW - that balloon is so super cool Julie! You are so very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  22. ooooohhhhh I am luvin' your take on these - gotta luv me some trinkets and metal doodads! Thanks for the fabulous step by step and inspiration!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Julie, so clever and creative with the MS stamps and TH embellies for your CS hot air balloon. Your TH drawer looks just like mine, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful Steampunk Hot Air Balloon! So creative on how you made it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Julie...I love your version of the digital hot air balloon image!! You are so creative!! I just might need to borrow your idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By all means Arlene, borrow away! :)

      Delete
  26. Awesome job Julie - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. The steam punk balloon is sooooo creative! Thanks for the step-by-step, too. Beautiful embellishment!

    ReplyDelete
  28. How cool is that! LOVE you Steampunk balloon!

    ReplyDelete
  29. very clever the way you made your steam punk balloon!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Julie, your little steampunk balloon is a stroke of genius. Using that Michael Strong stamp is something I would have never thought of myself but will definitely copy now. You know I've been wanting to copy this idea all along. Now you've beat me to it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. The balloon images just cry out for a little steampunk to be added. You did a marvelous job. I'm delighted to see digital work thrown in, too. I'm new at it and enjoy the tips from those who do it well.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I LOVE the gears on these balloons! You are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I LOVE STEAMPUNK! These are great! Thanks & I have you on my blogger list now.

    ReplyDelete
  34. wonderful project and card
    like decoration with the metal

    ReplyDelete
  35. Julie you are always sooo clever. I loved that image in digi, but IRL it's way cooler. I'm jealous of your idea ology collection :). Gonna copy this idea for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful work Julie
    Karen Kovisto

    ReplyDelete
  37. WOW Julie, what a great project. Fabulous photos and instructions. You know I think of you as Wonder Woman!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love the embossing on this...so unique looking!

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a clever idea to make your own balloon! I never thought of using those stamps in that way.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Julie - I love your card - great take on the digi stamp!

    Barbara S aka Fuzzylover

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love the created hot air balloon! Never would have thought about using gears! Thanks Julie!
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  42. I'm gonna use the same word that many other comment-ers used previously, how CLEVER!! Such a great idea Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Julie, I was just at Ron's blog (I'm always doing things backwards). I saw that steampunk balloon and it was great. I'm not on the digital train yet.
    (Don't tell Ron, but I loved your interpretation with paper, ink, and EP a lot better. Inky fingers, That's what it's all about for me) Thanx for being or this Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Julie, thanks for the terrific step by step on creating your card. I love your interpretation on the steam punk balloon.
    TFS
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  45. Love how you created the hot air balloon!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Just one word: WOW.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  47. I agree with Cherryl - wonderwoman! - This is great.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Love how you re created a balloon for use on your project. Thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete