Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Howdy Hoppers!!


No not the Easter Bunny kind of hoppers,  but the Club Scrap Bookshelves Blog Hoppers!!

So happy you have decided to hop along to view all of the wonderful artwork created along the way!

I decided early in the month on what my project for the hop was going to be.   Inspired by the kit,  I decided on bookends.   I immediately began a google search for images of paper craft bookends.   I knew that it wasn't going to be an easy thing to find, because bookends are usually very heavy solid objects.   Well low and behold on the Elmer's Glue website I found a cute little set of bookends designed to be easy enough for kiddos to make!

image source - Elmer's Glue 

Terrific,  I can work with this and the design,  BRILLIANT!   Loved everything about it.

Here is what I came up with using my project making skills I learned from Club Scrap!

















To begin,  I cut 2 sets of book board.  Book board is a thicker, sturdier chipboard (1/8 inch thick)  great for making home decor projects like this one.   Each set consisted of 2 rectangles and a triangle.





















I attached them using my CS Book Binding Glue and then once assembled,  painted with the Raw Umber paint we received in the Holiday WOW 2010 Luminary project.   One coat worked nicely, giving it a stained wood appearance.




Next up,  I used 2 triangles of the Bookshelves Eggshell print attaching them with bookbinding glue to the front of my bookends.   I left an 1/8 inch reveal around all of the sides and inked the edges of the paper.
















Club Scrap had sold a grab bag of embellishments during one of their sales and in it was a set of gold corners.   I planned on using bronze colored embellies,  so I sanded them down and below the gold color was a bronze hued metal.   I rubbed black matte acrylic paint on the corners to give them the antiqued finish and attached them with Tim Holtz brads.  















I downloaded the idea recipe cards from the Bookshelves kit (you have to be a member to have access to these) and used my inks, Distress markers, embossing ink & powder along with my Bookshelves stencil to create the detailed coloring on the old map and globe images.   The Bookshelves Scrap Rap describes the techniques perfectly,  and you can check it out on page 8.
I also cut the book and quote out of these same image sheets.

Of course,  all of these images are available in GHM as Unmounted Rubber stamps as well.















I die cut some of the Bookshelves papers using the Tim Holtz Sizzix Tattered Florals die and a small sun punch for the centers along with a Mini Pearl from the strips we also got in this kit.   The leaves are cut from the light green plain cardstock from this collection.





















The bronze embellishments are Tim Holtz's Idea ology collection.
The old key was from my stash.
The ribbons are from the CS Bookshelves Embellishment pack.

I am so happy you stopped by and visited my blog!  
Join us next month for more inspiration!

The next stop on this hop is Ron Perry's Blog.   

*And if you get lost along the way,  just start over at Club Scrap Creates Blog

31 comments:

  1. Julie, BRILLIANT!!! So cute! Love these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Julie...these are fantastic! Sheesh...now I have another project to CASE! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll make these TODAY. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, you came up with the most wonderful project.
    You make them look STUNNING. I love how you did all the embellishments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Love Love Love these bookends. I have to case this - great idea and your decorations are superb. What an inspiration...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julie these are really very fantastic! Who would every have thought you could make book ends out of a variation of paper . . . . brilliant !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Julie. THIS is FABULOUS!!! I love that the project matches the theme of the kit. I love your clever use of the resources available to you. I love that you created a 3D project that is not only beautiful but truly useful.
    OK - I just love everything about this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a clever idea, Julie! I love how this turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome work, Julie!!!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the double globe image, hmm was that on the UMs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That double globe image is on the Bookshelves Borders & Backgrounds UM, it's a fav of mine too!

      Delete
  12. Oh, Julie, Julie, Julie! You have done it again! I love these, and I might have to CASE them--I could leave off the flowers and do a masculine version for my brother. AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes,Julie, you have created a masterpiece. Love everything about them. How creative of you to come up with something like this. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thase are really awesome Julie!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh boy Julie, another great project, love how you found your inspiration and went from there! You certainly brought the original project to a whole new level! Great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your bookends. What a fabulous project!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Holey Moley Julie!!! What an amazing project. You definitely stepped up the Elmer's version a notch or two, LOL. This is fabulous. You must have had a fun time making all those elements. Stunner...as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OH MY. So beautiful. Sigh...you and Kay...amazing artwork I aspire to..but I am afraid I have no artful design genes...

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! I'm speechless Julie...really...WOW!...thinking of something else to say...WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful choices with classy results. Maybe you could teach us how to do that at a Retreat or WOW event. Do you buy the book board from C.S.? I'd love to make those. Great job!!
    Cher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make my own! Just sandwiched together pieces of chipboard alternating grain direction using book binding glue. You can even repurpose cereal boxes.

      Delete
  21. What a beautiful project - you never cease to amaze me with your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your project is great. I love how you always turn nothing into something.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Julie - your art is sooooo fabulous! You are super duper creative - LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wowza, Julie! Those bookends are amazing! I will definitely need to CASE these!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Super creative, Julie. Love how you embellished them!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love how you decorated your bookends.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Leave it to you Julie to come up with one amazing project!! I don't know how you do it, but I'm glad you do - you are such an inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Julie, this is so clever. I am late to the hop since I was traveling, but am loving these bookends.

    ReplyDelete