Monday, March 4, 2013

Pinterest Inspired Curvy Card





















This past week over at Club Scrap's Pro Scrapbookers League we were challenged to use anything with curves in our layouts, cards and digital creations.    I couldn't wait to share how this card came out with my CS® buddies!   My friend Toni asked how I did it so I told her I would blog about the process.  So here it is.











Step 1.
I used Canon Matte Photo paper for this technique.  Compared to regular cardstock it was really no comparison as far as blending and color quality.    The image on the right is the one done on photo paper.











Step 2.
I chose a butterfly from Club Scrap's Retreat 2012 Shapes stencils.   I used clear tape to mask off the portions of my stencil I didn't want the ink to go through.  Starting at the top of the stencil and at an angle, I lightly swiped the Broken China Distress ink downward into the center of the stencil.   Then using the same motion in an upward fashion using Gathered Twigs Distress ink.
*Note:  I found it very helpful to use a dab of ATG adhesive in the center of my photo paper to keep it from moving around while inking.













Step 3.
Keeping the stencil in place I inked up my Wildflowers CS® UM stamp with Onyx Club Scrap Hybrid ink.   I stamped over the butterfly opening using very firm pressure being careful not to slide my stamp. The stencil can get kind of slippery with that much wet ink.














Step 4.
Gently remove the stencil from the paper and marvel at how awesome your image came out!!










Step 5.
I noticed a mysterious black ink spot on my artwork!   What?!  NOOOOO.... wait...calm down, there is no need to panic!

So I grabbed another CS® stencil from the Serenity kit.  I laid the stencil over my paper and carefully stenciled over the image where my ink spot was using a permanent blank journalling pen.  VOILA!  no more mistakes.   I also created water marks by dabbing on a few spots of water on the butterfly using a water brush.  The Distress inks react with water.

















Step 6.
I matted my panel on a piece of cardstock from CS® Tilescapes kit and stamped a sentiment from CS® Wildflowers collection.  Placed all on a black card base and rounded one corner to complete the card.





















Thanks so much for stopping by!

Stay tuned for another card made using this same technique :)



16 comments:

  1. THAT is beautiful, Julie! And really so simple....I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very, very cool, and easy! (Well, easy LOOKING, anyway!) Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous!!! Thanks for the tutorial, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your card right away when I saw it last week and looked difficult to create. Your tutorial directions are clear with tips and you did a good job of breaking it down into simple steps. Good job, Julie and awesome card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Arlene Plastine (aussiemom)March 4, 2013 at 3:34 PM

    Another beautiful card Julie! And thanks so much for the tutorial...you make it sound so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beauty of a card, Judy and a great way to use the stencils!

    ReplyDelete
  7. THis is a very fun technique, Julie. I have done this before but not using photo paper. I really like how your project turned out - especially the colors you have chosen

    ReplyDelete
  8. So gorgeous!!! lovin' the colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cool Julie - I totally want to make this card, and soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh Julie that's a beautiful card. TFS
    Helen -- Firenze Cards

    ReplyDelete
  11. So Julie, the ink didn't smear using the photo paper? I wonder would just a glossy cardstock work just as well? I don't have any photo paper...such a pretty card!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely card Julie! Thank you for the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Once again another Beautiful card. Thanks for the instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This card is so beautiful! The technique sounds easier than it looks - I can't wait to give it a try! First, I have to get some photo paper...
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's beautiful!!! It just pops right out of the paper!
    Lilian
    The Leaf Studio

    ReplyDelete