Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Spring Chorus Blog Hop - For the Birds!

Welcome Spring Chorus Blog Hoppers!!

So happy you stopped by.   This month the amazing Spring Chorus monthly kit from Club Scrap inspired me to create a birdhouse project that holds a mini album.   Also inspiring me was Earth Day (April 22nd) and wanted to recycle/reuse my Pizza Box that my kit comes in.

So without further ado,  here is my completed project!





















I began by measuring and cutting my Pizza Box into pieces for my birdhouse and mini album covers and spine.

Cut the pieces using my Logan Matte Cutter.








Laid out the pieces and began attaching them together using Club Scrap's Book Binding Glue.

The door to the birdhouse opens and closes on a hinge that I attached using brads.









When I cut the box apart to make pieces for the house I made sure I saved the little stamped Chickadee image from the box lid for the front cover of my mini album.   Instead of covering the covers and spine with cardstock I decided to create a decorative hinge system using Memoirs Green cardstock with a punched edge.   I used up every bit of ribbon, die cut flowers, stickers and brads from the embellishment pack to create all my accents.   The fern piece was fussy cut from white cardstock after I printed images from the idea recipe cards from the collection.   I colored them with Peeled Paint Distress Stain.










I only had a small amount of cardstock left after creating my scrapbook pages from the Spring Chorus kit.  Usually I can save a few bits and pieces by creatively cutting the paper,  but this time I wasn't so lucky.   I managed to save a few larger pieces of dark blue and those I punched and cut into photo mattes for the inside pages of my mini album.   To cover the outside of my birdhouse in faux wainscoting, I needed to use more of the Memoirs green cardstock from my stash.  

I was inspired to give this scoring technique a try from watching this Gina K. Designs Video.   I accented the score lines using Peeled Paint Distress Ink.  I then attached the pieces to the outside walls of the house using ATG tape.












To create the roof I chose to purchase the digital kit so that I would have access to the wonderful imagery from the Spring Chorus kit.   I created a collage of the sheet music image and printed it out on 8.5 x 11 paper.   I backed it with more of the Memoirs green cardstock to give it some added strength and cut long strips out using my decorative "clouds" scissors.   I inked the edges using Sapphire Club Scrap hybrid ink and attached using Book Binding Glue.















Then came the fun part of embellishing the house using all of the bits and pieces from the kit I had left over.   I love making paper flower clusters and enjoyed playing with all of my punches to create them for the house.   I also added some of the wood picket fence from my stash that I had purchase at AC Moore many years ago.


This is the back of the house.  Fussy cut the Chickadee image and used some of the flower embellishments on the roof that came with the Spring Chorus kit.










Another fun idea I had was to make a bird's nest out of the the cool burlap ribbon from the kit.
I cut it into small squares and then glued it together in alternating directions with hot glue.


Then, inspired by this Pinterest technique,  I created the cute little eggs.








The mini album is assembled using a technique I learned on Laura Denison's Following the Paper Trail blog.  You can find a fun video tutorial for her unique book binding technique called Stack the Deck.

I used the Spring Chorus Fern Mask to create photo mattes for some of the inside pages.   I spritzed the mask with Sapphire Glimmer Mist and with homemade Gelatos metallic blue mist.
Then laid the misted mask down on plain white cardstock.











Next up was finding a lot of great bird photos from over the years to show off inside this fun little album.

Here a just a few of the pages.   I love how the "Stack the Deck" album design allows for so many photos to be hidden inside the pocket pages.  I created the tags using plain white cardstock and punched a border using a Martha Stewart punch out of the Memoirs green cardstock and glueing them to the edge of the tag.

















Here is how the mini album fits inside the birdhouse.

















I hope you enjoyed this project as much as I enjoyed making it!





















It is now time to HOP over to my good friend RON PERRY'S Blog called Random Doorways!

If you get lost along the way you can begin the Hop again at the Club Scrap Creates Blog.

40 comments:

  1. Julie - I'm blown away by this project! You're amazing!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect choice of paper for those photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY! So much lovliness in one post! This is just amazing. I am so inspired by this. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just fantastic! The details are perfect! I love how you've adapt from drab, i.e. a simple Pizza box, to make something stunning and useful. That is upscale downtown recycling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super adorable! Love it and thanks for all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julie, Julie, Julie... are you kidding me!? THIS. IS. AMAZING! I'm in love with this sweet little birdhouse/mini book project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh. My. Gosh. Julie Heyer. You've reached creative goddess level. Seriously, girl. What an amazing project!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, Julie, you have come up with such a wonderful project! I love birdhouse with a scrapbook inside!
    This is awesome on your coffee table. Thanks for sharing how you made it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too stinkin' cute, and creative!
    You've given us excellent pics and directions!
    Well done Julie!

    pat-czap

    ReplyDelete
  10. THIS is FREAKIN' AMAZING!!
    Julie, thanks for not only sharing your genius, but also sharing a tutorial.
    YOU ROCK!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, Julie, you KNOW I'm sucker for a birdhouse. Love everything about your project! You are a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous - your really come up wiht amazing things!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Julie, aka Goddess of Paper Crafting!

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  14. My mind is spinning, so many awesome ideas packed into this great project!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Insane, Julie! Love the little bird eggs made with hot glue and Perfect Pearls! Love the nest out of burlap as well. So many techniques. I love how you think! And you know I love Laura Denison's albums. Was that just a basic Stack the Deck, or one particular version?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, it is the one that I linked to. The only thing I did differently, she uses envelopes and I made my pockets out of white cardstock.

      Delete
  16. Awesome project. So many cool ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow, over the top wonderful as usual! Love all the great little details. You must never sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The bird's nest is adorable and so creative. I apologize for thinking it was matted fur. I should know better.LOL! This project is delightful and what a wonderful gift for someone who loves birds!
    Awesome job, Julie. I think its time Club Scrap hired you!!!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Cher

    ReplyDelete
  19. ADORBABLE, Julie! Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMGosh Julie! Over-the-top-fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Clever, clever Julie. Your bird house/album is awesome. I love all the little details you added.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Holy cow over achiever! This is one of the best projects I have EVER seen! So much work and detail!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Unbelievably amazing - I'm sorry but there just aren't words in the English language to describe this. You have truly outdone yourself this time girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, Julie,
    Your birdhouse and book are amazing. I gotta try that book technique. Thanks for sharing your project and the instructions.
    Great job.
    Stef

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh Julie, you've done it again! This is really quite a spectacular project! You are amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is so cute! I love how novel this is.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a fabulous project--can't believe it started with the pizza box.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Holy over the top project Julie!!! I don't know where to even start...that it started from a pizza box, the totally adorable nest made from the burlap ribbon, the scoring that totally looks like little wooden siding - oh my! So awesome Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Good heavens above! What an awe-inspiring, jaw dropping project! WOW!
    Helen -- Firenze Cards

    ReplyDelete
  30. Julie, how creative is that?! what a fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Julie, you are so talented! Your project is beautiful. And now I must subscribe to your blog- the first one ever I am subscribing to!

    ReplyDelete
  32. The detail on the birdhouse is amazing. You really went all out! Love the mini album tucked inside, too. Laura is a genius when it comes to making mini albums, isn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is just a fabulous project - I LOVE birdhouses and this is just so elegant and useful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Julie, you never cease to amaze me with your beautiful work. I love, love, love this little birdhouse and how "green" of you to re-purpose the pizza box!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Julie, This is incredible. Love it...so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  36. A little late to the Comment party, but ... I love this birdhouse project! You have such vision to turn cardboard into this beautiful artwork. Great job!

    ReplyDelete