Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Cape Cod Blog Hop!

Welcome!















Thanks so much for joining us for another Club Scrap Blog Hop!

If you came directly to my blog today and want to start from the beginning of the blog hop,  head over to Club Scrap Creates Blog to find a listing of all of the blogs participating in today's hop.



















I am so excited that Club Scrap chose Cape Cod to be the theme of this month's kit!   Having grown up on Cape Cod and stayed here to raise my family,  it holds a special place in my heart.

I was so inspired by all the wonderful imagery of the Cape Cod Kit!

Just for fun,  I set out to make some items out of book board, paper and stamps.

First up was the adirondack chair out of book board.    I googled a set of construction plans and set out to "build" one.   I have really enjoyed challenging myself to come up with ways to construct ever day items using cardboard.   I was so happy with the way it came out.   Here are a few pics of the process.






























I used CS bookbinding glue to adhere all the pieces of the chair together.

I painted it white using spray paint (base coat) and gesso (final coat).

I created 2 mini albums with a flip flop shape.
I cut all of the Cape Cod papers into flip flop shapes using my Silhouette SD.

The covers are made with matte boards cut using a craft knife, covered in the light blue papers, stamped with the texture "fibers" stamp in CS Hybrid Sapphire ink, and then adhered with CS bookbinding glue.
















The albums are reminiscent of a swatch book as they rotate out from a simple screw post hinge.   I hid these using the punched flowers which are made using the dark navy and red cardstocks.
The centers are light blue cardstock punched suns and large pearls.
The straps are made with the stamped light blue cardstock as well and were popped up with foam squares to add dimension.



I created a contact sheet of photos of our Memorial Day weekend at the beach.  Cold and windy, but still a lot of fun and the sun even made an appearance at the end of the day on Sunday.   I used the Cape Cod Digital kit to add quotes to the photos before printing as you can see below in the lighthouse photo.   Other photos, quotes and sayings were trimmed and added to both sides of the flip flop pages.















Next up was the umbrella.   I cut an umbrella shape using my Silhouette SD.   I removed one section of the umbrella template so that it would have a more realistic shape.   I stamped the light blue cardstock using the flip flop, 3 lighthouses and star circle from the Cape Cod kit UM stamps.
I colored the stamped images using a white gel pen and Barn Door Distress marker dipped in CS Hybrid WOW Red ink to give it a richer red tone.   I also used a Peeled Paint Distress marker.
I stamped the star circle with WOW Red,  flip flops in Sapphire and the lighthouses in Adirondack Black Archival so that the image wouldn't run during coloring.

















I used tiny wooden dowels painted with white acrylic paints to make the supports and handle.
Hot Glue was used to hold everything in place.   I also added a tiny punched circle of red cardstock to hide the hot glueing.















So here is the finished project.   I really hope you like my little Cape Cod creation.


















Next up on the Hop is Roni's Blog!  

Enjoy your day :)

33 comments:

  1. Julie, this is simply amazing ... I love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, what can I say: YOU ARE the Cape Cod kit! I absolutely think your projects are amazing and love how your mind works. You enjoy this kit to the fullest. (ps I think you need an extra one....)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Julie - totally amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOLY SMOLEY! You should sell those on Etsy. Wonderful! The first thing I thought of when I saw the picture was "Where did she buy that great chair?" and I was BLOWN AWAY by the fact that you made it. And, of course, the Album and the umbrella are perfect with it. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh...my...gah! You've blown me away with this one, Julie. Your entire project is crazy cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just amazing. What a great job. Love this project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl...you have too much time on your hands...just kidding LOL.
    You are truly amazing in the craft department Julie! You always create such unique pieces...Bravo. Keep up the wonderful work.

    pat-czap

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julie, that is adorable!!! How big is it IRL?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy moly Julie. You are amazing. I wonder what you would do with wood and a hammer?!? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, heavens, Julie Heyer. I am totally speechless. Speechless, I tell you! Awesome, awesome, awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fantastic little project, you amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Julie, this is so super cool! Something like this wouldn't even cross my mind to make. Love how all the kit elements fit perfectly with your project!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adorable Julie! I was anxious to see what you would come up with since this kit was your brain child. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Flipping phenomenal!! you're a paper genius!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a masterpiece. You are a Paper Master. I have no words!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is gorgeous Julie. I'm not sure I would have the patience to attempt something like this. But it is truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A lot of time and love went into this project and it shows- uber wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, Julie! What a wonderful project you created!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my Julie, I can't believe all I'm seeing, so awesome! So great how you googled construction plans to make that chair and it turned out perfectly along with the rest of the project components, oh my just so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Julie...your talent amazes me! I wish I had half the talent and creativity that you have!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Julie - this is absolutely adorable - love love love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Julie, I fell in love with your project before I even knew the sandals were a photo book! Then I was over the moon! I hope when you have an empty nest, that C.S. will be smart enough to hire you!!! Until then, I feel very fortunate that your share your awesome ideas and talent!
    Hugs,
    Cher

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome project! I love the chair and especially the flip flop photo book. Thank you for sharing how you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yikes Julie! You are one incredible artist!!!! I love the flip flop book... but then I love all your work.

    Marlou

    ReplyDelete
  25. Adorable project!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think you have outdone yourself.
    Great job!
    TFS
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is amazing! A flip-flop album? Truly amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my...love every element you made. Love the stamping on the umbrella and the construction.
    Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. How stinking cute is this project - so creative and ingenious!! I am totally in love with this! Thanks so much for such wonderful inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love everything but the umbrella really got me! Just fabulous Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Outstanding work, Julie! You're so creative.

    ReplyDelete