Friday, May 17, 2013

Cape Cod Bookends



When Club Scrap® told me that they were going to design an entire monthly kit based on some ideas that I submitted on the forum, I was so excited.   Then to find out that it was going to be named Cape Cod,  the place where I grew up and call home, was beyond my wildest dreams. At that time, we had just had our Bookshelves Blog Hop, where I blogged about the set of bookends I had created.  If you missed it you can check it out HERE. Thrilled with the fact that a Cape Cod kit was going to be released in May I was inspired to create a coastal themed set of bookends.

I created the same base, painted it white using Gesso, and then added papers from the Club Scrap Castaway Feb 2011 kit.   I used my Silhouette SD to cut out some tiny flip flops.  I hand punched matching hydrangea flowers and made them into clusters.   The starfish, a wood mount stamp also from the Castaway kit, was stamped with Club Scrap's Earth Hybrid Ink, fussy cut, edges were inked to add dimension, and texture was added using a ball stylus.  The wood fence was purchased in AC Moore in the unfinished wood department.   I removed the slats from the white coated wire and then wrapped thin gauge silver wire around the slats to give it a more rustic feel.   I also inked the edges of the fence slats with Weather Wood Distress Ink.  The beach grass is made with very thin strips of paper and then hot glued together at the base and hidden with real beach sand.    I was honored when the Sandwich Public Library asked me if I could donate them to a silent auction fundraiser for the Town of Sandwich 375th Birthday Celebration taking place in June.


I also donated a second pair of bookends to our Teacher Appreciation Week Raffle table at the Henry T. Wing Elementary School.   We added a gift card to a local bookstore and the recipient was so excited that she had won and was even more excited to find out that I had made them.


For this set I created the base, painted it with white Gesso and then covered with Club Scrap Cyprus Sept 2008 kit.  The hydrangeas were punched out of the Cyprus paper as well.  I created the fencing out of thin chipboard which I then inked with the Weathered Wood Distress Ink and tied the slats together using gray waxed linen thread.   I experimented this time with sand paper from the hardware store when creating the beach element.   I was so pleased with how it came out.

I can not wait to create more of these unique bookends.

Thanks so much for stopping by and let me know what you think.


8 comments:

  1. Awesome, Julie! Love these. Oh, and I like your new blog header, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are gorgeous! I loved the Bookshelves ones you made too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, Julie and what a great cause you donated them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, how did i miss the new blog header? great look, julie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie, you are so talented! Love the bookends! Your school is lucky to have you to donate such beautiful artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to just say that I am TOTALLY in love LOVE with these. The theme, and especially the hydrangeas, I so love them. Sigh. I feel beachy just looking at them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my Gosh! These book ends are so awesome! I have got to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so awesome. I especially love the hydrangeas!! You totally rock, Julie!

    ReplyDelete