Friday, May 3, 2013

Patti Splat Card

I decided to share this fun card I created using a number of different art medium collage techniques that I have learned.




















I started off with an inspiration piece.  My sources come from a wide variety of places and this one just happened to be my daughter Shannon's shirt.   I just love it!   The colors, the subject matter, the art medium possibilities are endless!   Funny how a piece of clothing can spark something in an artist.





















I found the perfect stamp (Club Scrap's Great Outdoors Collection) in this beautiful Luna Moth.   It had nice open areas in it so you would be able to see the colors and collaging through it.

I began with a piece of plain white paper and began with the art medium elements first.
I randomly dropped a juicy Distress Stain bottle onto my paper creating those terrific splats!
Just love that technique.   I used Bundle Sage for this piece.    Here is a link to a video using Distress Paints featuring the Patti Splat technique.

I inked over the whole piece using Distress Ink pads in Dusty Concord, Shabby Shutters, and Shaded Lilac.

I used the same colors when I stamped the swirls stamps (Club Scrap's Be Wonderful Collection).

Next step was to add the white splotches of color.   I used a water brush and white Gesso to make a very watery mix and dropped big juicy drops of paint from about 2 feet from my work surface.  I was really pleased with the results.

The final step was to stamp over everything using the moth stamp.   I used Adirondack Black Archival Ink.    To make the moth stand out a little more on the piece, I covered it in Glossy Accents.

Other products used:
Club Scrap Destinations Blue Panel
Club Scrap Cruisin' Black Card Base
Club Scrap Raku sentiment stamp
Club Scrap Be Aware stitch stamp



6 comments:

  1. Julie, I love your card! "Messy" techniques are so much fun! And that Raku stamp is one of my faves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice card, the white really makes it pop I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did I miss this post????? Very cool technique and I love the inspiration piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, Julie! A fun technique.

    ReplyDelete