Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Club Scrap's Hopes Blog Hop!

Welcome CLUB SCRAP HOPES Blog Hoppers! So happy that you have decided to come hop with us today. If you have arrived here from the Pat at the Technique Trail you are in the right spot.
If not, you may want to start the hop from the beginning at the Club Scrap Creates Blog, so you don't miss any amazing artwork along the way.

I am so excited to share my project with you.




















I started with an idea, that came from where else?  but Pinterest.   Some seriously awesome inspiration there!   I saw some ways to showcase photos using old shabby looking shutters.   I always try and figure out a way to recreate my project using paper.

So using a few images as my jumping off point,  I started to cut apart my Hopes pizza box.   I ended up making my shutters using 3 layers of pizza box card board glued together using Club Scrap Bookbinding Glue.

When all my components were dry I used hot glue to construct my shutters.   I spray painted them with white matte paint and then crackle painted them with Vintage Photo Distress Crackle Paint from Ranger.   I painted the inside of the doors with a cream color to compliment the Hopes Kit papers.















When the crackle paint had dried I took some sandpaper and further added to the distressed look.
I added little door handles using some wood plugs and secured them onto the doors using decorative upholstery tacks.   This gave the inside of the doors a finished look too.




















The back of the project is a 10x10.75" piece of thick chipboard.  I painted along all the edges and sides with the Vintage Photo Distress Crackle paint.   Once dry,  I layered on the Hopes white print paper trimmed to 9.75x10.5".   I distressed the edges using my Tonic distress tool.    To add to the shabby look I tore off small bits of paper along the perimeter and inked the edges with Earth Ink.


















I mounted the shutters onto the large piece of book board using small hinges.  They are attached to the doors using hot glue.  The "nails" are actually tiny brads that came in the 2008 Club Scrap's Private Eye kit embellishment cup.

After the shutters were in place I set out to embellish them.  I used parts of the Hopes kit including the quote cut apart, dragonfly brad, and orange eyelets to create the little hanging sign.




















I printed out 2 butterflies from the Papillon digi kit to fussy cut, color and add to the front and inside of my project.  The butterfly on the front is much smaller and I colored it using Distress Stickles in Spice Marmalade and a copper glitter glue from Studio G.   The white flowers were made using the left over pieces of 12x12" white Hopes print and die cut with Tim Holtz Tattered Florals Die.  I created centers using a brown cardstock and punched some suns and finished with large pearls from my stash.  The larger orange flower is also die cut with the same die and I used the Hope handmade paper.   The center is a nail head.















The inside embellishments included the second butterfly printed on sticker paper and colored with watercolor pencils in marigold, orange, and orange red.   I spritzed the piece heavily with a water mini mister.   I used pieces of the lace fibers, orange cardstock punched with a Martha Stewart flower punch and a journalling block.   The flower centers are tiny Dazzle stickers from the Club Scrap Love Blooms Kit.  

The final step in completing the project was printing a photo taken by my daughter Alicia.   My husband Greg and I celebrated our 10th Wedding Anniversary on Friday and this was a special way to commemorate this day.













Thanks so much for coming by and your next stop on the Hopes Hop is RONI at Ink Stains Blog!

If you get lost along the way you can hop back to Club Scrap Creates to find a list of all the participating Bloggers on today's Hop!


45 comments:

  1. Uh, Jules. This is pretty incredible. Like, really, really, really amazing. LOVE it!!!! Thanks for the how-to tips, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, your projects are getting outrages and super! I have one of these shutter mirrors in my garden and it looks exactly like yours. You amaze me every time with what you come up with. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pizza box to shutters?? Funny how the human mind works!!! Very creative, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your project is fantastic! I love every part; your idea is unique, design is beautiful, and your details really send it over the top. And Happy Anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic project Julie! You continue to blow our socks off with your creativeness.

    pat-czap

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Gravy! It would be neat to make one of these in a slightly un-themed way to swap the pictures out throughout the year with the holidays and seasons. I'm really liking how you made the centers of the tiny orange flowers to match that fiber...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is amazing! I wish I had a smidge of your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julie, you are crazy in the most wonderful way! Those shutters are fantastic! Love how they showcase your photo. Congrats on 10 years!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Julie, you are an amazing engineer. Words fail me. Another fabulous project by CS Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So awesome, one would never know those shutters are crafted from pizza boxes when first looking for sure, can't believe it, yep - pretty incredible project, again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jaw-dropping-fabulous Julie! Incredibly clever also.

    ReplyDelete
  12. UH...um...ok beautiful but other than that I have no words. SMH...overachiever! ;-). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what wonders you can create with a simple cardboard box! Fantastic project Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You come up with some of the most amazing projects. This is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cool!! Love the entire project!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome! Your shutters look amazing! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy anniversary! What a beautiful photo and a great way to display it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful project, thanks for all the directions ans what a nice to picture to display in it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a drop-dead gorgeous, jaw-dropping, awesome project. Thanks for sharing your amazing talents with us, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Anniversary and what a cool project!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love, Love, Love your project. My favorite part is that the shutters are made from a beloved pizza box! Great project! Thanks for sharing!

    Happy Anniversary!
    Lisa K.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Um....WOW, WOW, AND WOW AGAIN! You are the official pizza box transformer QUEEN!! I would never guess this project started life as a pizza box. Simply stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow that is terrific. that is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  24. O.M.G. this is soooo freaking amazing!!! I totally wanna do this. BAD! Thanks for such fabulous inspiration...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful project!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm amazed at your ability to create such wonderful projects!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Julie, this is amazing. You made me laugh that you used the pizza box that ships our Club Scrap monthly kit. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What great projects everyone is creating!! Nice to see a green project here. Love the idea of the shutters! Thanks for the tutorial!

    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love this, Julie! You are always so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  30. That seriously looks like shutters and I was all ready to go out to the garage and find the small shutters I have stashed away somewhere before I read the whole post. What a lovely commemoration of your 10 year anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is really neat. An item you made that will be treasured forever. Thanks for sharig.

    ReplyDelete
  32. A project worthy of being on every scrap, stamp, mixed media Magazine! I'll watch for it, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Seriously????!!! A pizza box cut and made into shutters??? Your creativity is soooo far above mine! I'm astounded at how you possibly came up with such a showstopping project... You ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ummmm......WOW!!!! Julie, this is incredible!!! I absolutely LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Very cute - wish I had somewhere to display this...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  36. So impressive! Creative, clever and beautiful.

    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  37. Julie, Your creativity never ceases to amaze me. I envy your talent for seeing a photo of something, then creating your very own 3D version.
    Thanks so much for sharing this!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Julie you are Talented with a CAPITAL T! Amazing work and inspiring more than you'll ever know! Thank you for all the hard work!

    Blessings,
    Melitta

    ReplyDelete