Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Club Scrap Crewel & Unusual Blog Hop

0216_bloghop_badge photo 0216_hopbadge_zpsdqlwcspo.jpg

Welcome to the February Club Scrap Blog Hop featuring this month's kit, Crewel & Unusual. If you arrived here from Inkstained Roni's blog then you are in the right place. If not, be sure to check out Karen's post over at Club Scrap for a complete list of participating blogs.

Click HERE to see the inspiration for my collage.
I love embellishments, so I created a collaged wall hanging featuring some of my favorites collected over the years.

I began with a template created digitally in iScrapbook to ensure all my paper pieces would fit the collage perfectly and be visually pleasing.



When I was young, my mom used to do crewel embroidery, and this kit has brought back some wonderful memories of learning this craft from her.



I gathered a selection of embroidery floss in matching kit colors handed down to me from my Grandma Wright. 
I used the stamped Greetings UM hearts as a guide and created real embroidery pieces to add to my collage.



I printed out the Letter Art quote from the Crewel & Unusual Digital Kit onto the Ivory paper. I pierced holes into the paper and then added real embroidery to the panel. Check out Jac's Virtual Pizza Box video for details on how to use these elements in your paper projects.




I created a faux canvas, using two 9x11" sheets of Pizza Box cardboard layered and topped with a piece of heavy duty mat board, rescued from the recycling bin as it was the backing off a mixed media art paper pad.


I wrapped the edges with Washi Tape prior to adhering the patchwork of papers.


I adhered all of my embellishments to the paper pieces with Club Scrap Bookbinding Glue prior to attaching to the final project.


Here are some details from my project.

Sizzix Sewing Room Die
Club Scrap Embellishments mixed with Tim Holtz Idea-Ology and random metal embellishments from my stash.


Next stop on the hop - Anne Marie's Artfully Balanced Blog!

22 comments:

  1. Oh my,Julie,your wallhanging is totally awesome with allthose lovely details.
    The embroidery is a fantastic extra! Thanks for showing how this all came together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is totally awesome, so many nice details, especially the hand stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, for heaven's sake, Julie Heyer. I'm in awe of your art piece! Not only the design and your very own "crewel work", but the photography of said art piece, as well! Just outstanding on so many levels, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun creation! I love all of the little bits you've included in the final collage. This would be so much fun to make! TFS Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful piece of artwork, Julie! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very eye catching! The hand stitched pieces add a special touch. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Julie, this is totally amazing! I wish I had just a smidge of your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous.
    I did crewel a long time ago and has been thinking it would be a nice touch with this kit. I love How you added it. thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too fun and love the crewel work too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love, love, love your wall hanging collage Julie! Love all the little extras that make it unique.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fantastic college. All the bits make it stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is beautiful. Love the little extra touches you added with all the "hand embroiery " work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my how wonderful. the embroidery, and all those little touches. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your collage wall artwork is just gorgeous, Julie! I especially love you incorporated your own crewel work/stitching in it! And making your own base with cardboard! My cup of tea!!! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMGoodness! I just love the collage! Beautiful and inspirational

    ReplyDelete
  16. Julie this is truly a work of art! It feels very lovingly created and has connections to your mom and your childhood. Very special!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow-so awesome...Love it! I especially love that this was so close to your heart because of your family. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Wow! This is adorable, Julie! I can see all the love that went into this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is spectacular, Julie! What an amazing collection of my favorite embellishments! This is a great piece of art to showcase on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW WOW WOW - my jaw is on the floor - this is just so beautiful REALLY!!! So many gorgeous details - it just really is outstanding!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I know this was SO fun to put together, I can just tell. Love all your way cool embellishing ideas! Really a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! This is really cool!!! Love it!
    Lilian
    The Leaf Studio

    ReplyDelete