Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Club Scrap Literature Blog Hop

Welcome to the Club Scrap October Blog Hop featuring the Literature Kit. If you have arrived from the super creative Roni's Inkstains Blog then you are in the right place. If not, hop back to Karen's post at the Club Scrap Blog to see a complete list of all the talented bloggers.


I ran across this idea for an amazing book, which I had never heard of before, called a Midori Traveler's Notebook. Upon further research, I came to realize that I must have been living under a rock! I was blown away by all the fantastic DIY ideas out there, for not only creating your own notebook, but for making some of the inserts. At the end of this post I will share some links which I found very helpful during my creative process.

Create the cover with a 7x8" piece of Kraft-Tex in Chocolate Brown. Fold this piece in half horizontally. Mark piercing holes to insert the elastic cording.


16" length of black elastic cording
Make a loop of was linen thread to help pull the loop of black elastic through to the outside of the cover.
Tie off the closure loop to prevent it from re entering the pierced hole.
Perform the pamphlet stitch.
Secure the inside elastic cord with a double knot.
Add corner stamped images with Jet Black Permanent Ink on the front and back of the Kraft-Tex cover.


Create a focal medallion with embossed Bronze paper inked with the Jet Black Permanent Ink. Layer with stamped images from the Literature Greeting UM set and Red paper circle mat.

Spellbinders Nestibilities Scalloped Circles and Darice Damask Embossing folder.

Add a DIY six pocket insert created from a manila folder, based on idea seen at Pocket Full of Vintage.


Decorate the folder with papers from the Literature Deluxe Kit.


Print the Red background from the Literature Digital Kit and create tabs with a 1" circle punch.

Insert the tabbed Dk. Kraft tabbed panels into the inside pockets. 
Make two pocket journals with downloads from My Life in One Place. Create covers with Red plain and Gold Metallic papers, score and bind the booklets with a three hole pamphlet stitch and wax linen thread.





Adhere customized book plates to the inside front pages of each booklet created with the digital kit elements and coordinating font, Berylium. Attach Library pockets to the inside front and back covers of each booklet to create additional storage.


Removable inserts are what makes the notebook so unique.


A simple hair elastic holds the two booklets inside the traveler's notebook.


Your next stop is Anne Marie at her Artfully Balanced Blog!

Midori Traveler's Notebook helpful links:
Brian Goulet - Explanation of How it all Works Video
Carie Harling - Putting it all together Video
My Life in One Place - Ray Blake for Printables
6 Pocket Kraft Folder Part 1 - Pocket Full of Vintage **
6 Pocket Kraft Folder Part 2 - Pocket Full of Vintage ** after this was published videos are now private so sorry for any inconvenience.
Eline's Cover Tutorial
The GeeKon Record - DIY Pocket Notebook
SaveSave

16 comments:

  1. Julie, I love this and for sure going to make one of my own. Beautiful decorations and wonderful inside of the journal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty Julie - Cased for future use as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely Beautiful Julie! Ummm I must live under a rock too, as I have never heard of this.....hehehehehehe Im not sure if I have seen one either, but the name in itself does not ring a bell for me. Oh well, its absolutely Gorgeous and what a neat idea for paper crafting too!
    Hugs
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a awesome notebook, this is amazing! So many cool pockets and I love the removable inserts as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is SO COOL! The Kraft-Tex is perfect for the cover. I can't wait to give this a try on my own!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful project, and thank you very much for all the helpful links, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely going to make one (or more) of these! That is an infinitely giftable project. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really cute!! Could you send one to me for my upcoming trip? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, excellent Julie, such a brilliant binding and so nice and clear and clever looking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so in love with the Kraft-tex! Beautiful journaling. I need to make a smaller version to keep in my pocket at work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful. Thank you for the clear instructions. It's on my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We should peek out from under those rocks a little more often, Julie!!! ;) GREAT job on this. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to figure out how to make that cool manila folder pocket. Is that from pinterest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, there are a bunch of links to the videos at the end of the post including the manila folder called 6 pocket folders part 1 and 2.
      :) Hope that helps.

      Delete